Do you cAARd? Ask, Advise, Refer - Help your patients quit smoking.
Use the “Take Charge” Gold Card to refer your patients to the California Smokers” Helpline at
Diabetes Educators throughout California have joined forces with the California Diabetes Program and the California Smokers’ Helpline to assist their patients with diabetes quit smoking.
“Do you cAARd?” challenges Diabetes Educators to use the Gold Card and share it with patients with diabetes who smoke or chew tobacco. The gold card is a marketing piece that urges smokers to call the Helpline, 1-800-NO-BUTTS (1-800-662-8887). To order the Gold Card and other free California Smokers' Helpline materials go to the link below.
Join the “Do you cAARd?” campaign, learn about the Ask, Advise, Refer intervention, and help your patients reduce their risk of complications and improve their health.
- Ask every patient, every visit: “Do you smoke or use tobacco?”
- Advise them to quit. "Make it a priority to quit; it's important for your health."
- Refer them to the California Smokers’ Helpline with the “Take Charge” Gold Card.
The “Do you cAARd?” campaign is a collaborative effort of California Diabetes Educators, the California Diabetes Program and the California Smokers’ Helpline. The campaign includes:
- The "Do you cAARd?” Toolkit for Diabetes Educators and other Health Care Providers
- An American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) accredited continuing education program on diabetes and tobacco cessation
- Education opportunities offered statewide by the "Do you cAARd?” Task Force
Download the "Do you cAARd?” Toolkit from the link below.
Goals of the campaign are to Increase use of telephone-based tobacco cessation services by persons with diabetes and improve the extent to which health care providers assess smoking status of persons living with diabetes, advise them to quit and refer them to the Helpline (1-800 NO-BUTTS).
Want to learn more about tobacco cessation intervention, how tobacco use complicates chronic diseases and medications for cessation? See the FREE smoking cessation online continuing education program here on DIRC- go to the Do you cAARd? CEU Program link below.
Thank you to the California Diabetes Educators and the “Do you cAARd?” Task Force.
Files (Click a File to Download)
- Do you cAARd? Toolkit 2008 (3.33 MB)
- Provider Fact Sheet (also included in Toolkit) (2.52 MB)
- Fax Order Form for Free Cessation Materials (204 KB)
- Diabetes Educators Survey Report (2008) (288 KB)
- Quitting Tips - Help your patients quit (35.0 KB)
- US Public Health Service Tobacco Cessation Guidelines 2008 Update (80.3 KB)
- Article - Collaborating with Diabetes Educators To Promote Tobacco Cessation for People with Diabetes - The California Experience (420 KB)